Buying Some Time
One week ago today, we got Gorman’s pathology report which said what the surgeon removed was about half scar tissue and half tumor. We were devastated. We had so foolishly hoped it would be nothing but scar tissue. Even though “it” was removed during surgery, the fact that the tumor came back was very ominous and frightening. So we spent a few days crying and dragging around the house, not to mention lots of praying, and finally emerged from the black hole ready to keep fighting, knowing God would continue to walk with us every step of the way and give us courage and strength, which is how we’ve made it through the past 14 months.
Today we had appointments with Dr. Markert, neurosurgeon, and Dr. Nabors, our wonderful neuro-oncologist at UAB. We were anticipating the news that there was nothing left to be done and best of luck to us; however, there is a new plan. Gorman is no longer in the clinical trial as a recurrence eliminates him. He will no longer take Temodar. We have to wait a couple of weeks for him to finish healing from the surgery and then he will begin receiving Avastin, which is a biological therapy and not a chemotherapy. It will be given intravenously every two weeks and will be administered somewhere locally, not at UAB. He will still get an MRI at UAB every two months and if the Avastin is not working out, they can add two different chemotherapy drugs. There are no clinical trials at UAB right now that fit Gorman but Dr. Nabors has contacted MDAnderson to see if they have anything so we’ll see.
We like having a plan and are glad to know that we can buy some more time. I guess that’s all we’ve been doing from the beginning but it really feels like that now and we thank God for more time.